Last Updated on January 17, 2023
A pdf of the above image is available at https://friendsoftheunsheltered.org/wp-content/uploads/Clatsop-PIT.pdf.
- Housing & Urban Development (HUD) requires each Continuum of Care (CoC) to do an annual Point in Time (PIT) count in early January.
- The PIT includes counting both unsheltered and sheltered (e.g. “couch surfing”) homeless individuals and families.
- Clatsop Community Action is responsible for the count in Clatsop County.
- Clatsop County is in HUD’s Rural Oregon Continuum of Care (that includes 26 Oregon counties).
- PIT data reported to the State of Oregon is at the county level.
- As of January 13, 2023 the most recent data published by the state is for the 2019 PIT count.
- Clatsop Count has, and has had for years, the highest reported rate of homelessness among counties in the State of Oregon.
- Among states, Oregon ranks number 4 in the rate of homelessness (number of homeless per 100,000 residents).
- “Clatsop County is ground zero for the housing crisis in the country” (Leslie Ford is a housing strategy and development advisor for Columbia Pacific Coordinated Care Organization and Project CareConnect). Seaside Signal, January 6, 2023.
Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Point-in-Time (PIT) Count Standards and Methodologies Training: https://www.hudexchange.info/trainings/courses/point-in-time-pit-count-standards-and-methodologies-training/.
Homeless Populations and Subpopulations Reports: https://www.hudexchange.info/programs/coc/coc-homeless-populations-and-subpopulations-reports/.
The State of Oregon
Oregon Housing and Community Services – Point-in-Time: https://www.oregon.gov/ohcs/homelessness/Pages/index.aspx.
More information on the PIT count: https://friendsoftheunsheltered.org/research-pit/.
DON’T COUNT ON IT: How the HUD Point-in-Time Count Underestimates the Homelessness Crisis in America: https://homelesslaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HUD-PIT-report2017.pdf.
State of Homelessness in 2022: Statistics, Analysis, & Trends: https://www.security.org/resources/homeless-statistics/.