Progress Report – Early May, 2021
Here are some updates,news items and resources from our research and outreach since our last progress report.
- Seaside Faith-based Round Table Discussion on Homelessness. Seaside Mayor Jay Barber and Councillor Tita Montero invited church leaders to participate in a round table discussion to share what local churches are doing to address homelessness. The city of Seaside reached out to local pastors in hopes of building collaboration and partnerships in the efforts of having real solutions to assist the homeless off the street. This first round table discussion was held at the Seaside Convention Center on May 6th at 6pm. Here is a link to the recording of this Forum. The next community forums on homelessness are scheduled for:
- May 13, 2021 6:00 PM – Strategies Implemented in other communities: Speaker to be announced – Thursday, May 13, 2021, 6:00 PM
- May 20, 2021 6:00 PM – Learning more from other communities: Speaker to be announced – Thursday, May 20, 2021, 6:00 PM
- June 3, 2021 6:00 PM –Community wide discussion; moderated by Mayor Jay Barber – Thursday, June 3, 2021, 6:00 PM
- July 1, 2021 6:00 PM – Discussion regarding next step and House Bill 2006 – Thursday, July 1, 2021, 6:00 PM all at the Seaside Convention Center, 415 First Avenue.
- Homelessness Solutions Task Force (HOST) Meeting. Here is a link to the recording of the May 6th meeting of HOST, led by Astoria Police Chief Geoff Spalding, with reports from County Assistant Manager Monica Steele, CCA Director Viviana Matthews, tiny home project leader Ron Maxted, and more.
- Tent City Urbanism: From Self-Organized Camps to Tiny House Villages. Book by Andrew Heben who is an urban planner and helped co-found Opportunity Village in Eugene, Oregon.This book “explores the intersection of the ‘tiny house movement’ and tent cities organized by the homeless to present an accessible and sustainable housing paradigm that can improve the quality of life for everyone.” He describes many informal tent cities….
Read more here.